Monday, November 5, 2007

Must Have in Closets-Rod Lavers




I first got into Rod Lavers in 2003. I was tired of buying white-on-white Air Force Ones. The problem with white-on-whites was that they were easily scuffed and creased after a few wears. So the search for the perfect white sneaker began.I needed something multi-purpose that I could wear with a pair of shorts or with a blazer. Now around this time Puff and Russell were running around wearing suits with shell top Adidas. I thought this looked quite silly, and quite frankly I wasn't a fan of shell toes. And although my brother wore Stan Smith Adidas, which provided a more mature look than the Air Force Ones, I found the same creasing problem occurred.

The funny thing about Rod Lavers is they are not an urban sneaker. And while I don't want to take credit, I was the first black guy in my hood wearing these. They're still not completely mainstream in urban culture, but they are a must-have for any men's closet. The Rod Laver sneaker is named after the tennis player, who infamously won all four of tennis' Grand Slam singles titles in the same year twice. The crazy part is these kicks have been around since the 70's. So the the original versions are actually for sale including a newer model.

So to give credit were credit is due, I didn't discover Rod Lavers. Actually, white college boys rocked them first. I noticed that they had a particular preppy feel to them, especially the white and green (classic) ones. The great part about Rod Lavers is that they are made out of canvas (they now come in leather, but when I first started wearing them only canvas was available) so when they get dirty, all you have to do is throw them in the washer and they are clean! So what did I do, I copped a pair, laced them up New York Style - just the top and bottom shoe holes - and hit the streets.

Another great thing that makes these a must-have is that they range from $50-$65 depending on where you cop and what colors. They come in a wide variety of colors, but the best combo is the classic white and green.

Comfort wise I give them a B-. Fashion wise, I give these an A+; they are a mature shoe that looks great whether you are at the beach or on a date. They say a lot, with out saying much.

G4 Scott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What up? The blog is looking good. The Rod Lavers are sic, them joints are classics. There is another pair of sneakers from adidas that cats sleep on. They are the Ilie Nastase, these joints are classics. Nastase played tennis in the 1970's and he was killin' the game. Alot of people front on adidas, but their sneaker legacy is deep. You can get your sneaker game right for under a buck fucking wit adidas. Peace.